- As of block 491,407 on the bitcoin blockchain, another alternative version of the protocol will be launched, resulting in a variant that’s being branded bitcoin gold (BTG).
- Of course, while it aims to become the de-facto version of bitcoin, others might consider bitcoin gold an “altcoin” – the term has long been used to denote any cryptocurrency launched using bitcoin’s existing code, but that has an alternative market or use case.
- On October 16, the Hong Kongese cryptocurrency exchange Bitfinex announced that it would stop allowing US customers to transact all trades, deposits, and withdrawals by November 9.
- The exchange recommends that its US-based clients withdraw all their holdings by that date.
- Starting August 1 at about 12:20 UTC, mining pool ViaBTC will give miners who are a part of its pool the option to direct their computing power to a software client known as Bitcoin ABC.
- Should enough miners take up that option, the result will be a permanent divergence in the bitcoin blockchain and the creation of a new cryptocurrency known as bitcoin cash.